- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups hot water or hot strong brewed coffee
Spicy Bittersweet Ganache
- 10 oz bittersweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
White Chocolate Ganache
- 24 oz white chocolate baking bars or squares, chopped
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tube (0.68 oz) red decorating gel
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13x9-inch pan with shortening. In large bowl, beat all cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat 2 more minutes on medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on cooling rack, about2 hours.
- Place bittersweet chocolate in medium heatproof bowl; set aside. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream to simmering. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon red pepper. Let stand 10 minutes. Return whipping cream in saucepan to simmer. Pour over bittersweet chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Spread ganache over cake. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour.
- Place white chocolate in medium heatproof bowl. In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1 cup whipping cream to boiling. Pour over white chocolate. Let stand 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Spread evenly over bittersweet ganache. Drizzle decorating gel in rows over cake. Pull toothpick through rows in opposite direction to create swirled pattern. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.