Original recipe makes 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine or rum (optional)
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Combine espresso and butter in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Place dark chocolate pieces in the espresso mixture; cook without stirring until chocolate starts to melt, about 3 minutes. Whisk chocolate and espresso mixture until well combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine Marsala, egg yolks, and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until frothy and thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir mascarpone cheese into marsala mixture.
- Combine chocolate mixture with mascarpone mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Whip heavy cream in a bowl until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold half of whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture.
- Fold second half of whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.